Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 1996 10:38:42 -0300 (GRNLNDST)
From:      ormonde@trem.cnt.org.br (Rodrigo Ormonde)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with NIS and LINUX

Hi.

  I've configured NIS in my 2.1R FreeBSD. It'll be the NIS server for a small
network of 5 Linux machines.
  I've made the maps, started the daemons on the server and on the clients and
everythink is ok. The clients can get the maps correctly, but there is a big
problem: the password encription algorithms for Linux and FreeBSB are completely
different. Linux uses the standard crypt based on the DES while FreeBSD uses
crypt based on the MD5. Because of that, Linux can't verify the passwords in
the NIS passwd map and thus nobody can log in.

  Does anybody knows any solution/workaround for this problem ?

  (I don't want to install FreeBSD on the client machines because they have
only 4Mbytes of memory and a small hardisk. In this conditions, Linux runs
better. Also, I'd like to run FreeBSD on the server because it has a better
NFS implementation and is more stable than Linux)

  Thanks in advance.

--
Rodrigo de La Rocque Ormonde
Confederacao Nacional do Transporte