Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:03:20 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Replacing/enhancing kernel printf()

All,

With FreeBSD being used in various situations, including the embedded
space, there seems to be an increasing need to have fine-grained
control over what the kernel prints to the console during boot as well
as during normal operation. It is my believe at least that the all or
nothing approach that we have now is inadequate.

With this email I'd like to start a discussion in an attempt to get
some feel for what is possible and/or acceptable as well as get more
information about the situations where the current behaviour of
FreeBSD had to be changed (or people wished it would change).

We currently have standard, verbose and mute. Standard is really
already too verbose from a regular user (i.e. non-developer)
point of view. Mute is really not adequate, because you may want
to print at least the copyright notice or provide a couple of
lines of critical information even when you don't wont to see
anything else.

On top of that, if we shift our thinking towards the theoretical,
futuristical and/or luxurious then we may be faced with multiple
output devices, such as a small LCD, onto which we want to print
some status information. With multiple output devices we may want
to channel different kinds of messages to different devices.

As a first stab, I'm thinking that if we amend the printf()s with
a syslog-type facility and/or level, we may achieve just that.
Replacing printf with klog() and change the printf implementation
to be in terms of a klog call with an as of yet unspecified level
and/or facility would help migrate from one system to another.

What do people think of such an ability?

Have people implemented something similar as part of their own
FreeBSD-based solutions?

If we have the ability to suppress certain kinds of output,
do we still want save the supressed output somewhere and do
we want to be able to have fine-grained control over that too?

Thanks,

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt@mac.com