Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 22:42:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keeping mutliple machine and telnets straight....

I've taken a different approach entirely.  In addition to setting the shell
prompt to contain the host name (*and* setting it in the xterm border, if
the terminal type is xterm), I have front-end scripts for telnet and rlogin
called xtelnet and xlogin, respectively.  (I even hacked one up for ssh at
one time.)  Each utility pops up a separate xterm for a telnet or rlogin
session; each reads a simple text file in my home directory, called
(appropriately) ".xlogin", that describes what colors xterm should use for
the foreground, background, cursor and border for each host.  The xlogin or
xtelnet utility then fires up xterm, with the desired colors, telling it to
run rlogin or telnet to the appropriate host.  The utilities support most
common options for both xterm and rlogin or telnet.

I tend to stick to the same background (black) and modify the foreground
(text) color.  Since my brain parses color faster than text, I can tell at
a glance--without reading anything--what host the current xterm is logged
into.  I've been using variants of these utilities for years, and I find I
like the solution far better than relying solely on text labels of some
kind.
-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.