Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:54:55 -0800
From:      Michael & Marilynn Endsley <mandm@alaska.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   lockup during probe (again?)

--=======4FF913FE=======

I have been trying to do a new install of 4.5 or 4.6 on this machine:
ALI M1647 base board, K7 A-Socket (462) with a 900Mhz AMD chip.
It has 256meg ram, a 20gig HD, ATI 128Xpert video card, ALI onboard
sound system, Realtek 8139 nic, and a PCtel HSP56 MR modem.
I'm not worried about the modem. I also have a Actiontec pci modem.
I use the PCtel on this win98/2000 machine.
When booting either the 4.5 or 4.6 floppies, everything is fine till the
probe starts. The HD turns for less than a second and then everything
freezes and locks up solid. I have left it for over a hour to see if it would
come to life, but nothing.
See anything here in my list that would cause the lock-up? I need the
video card and the onboard items can't be removed ;(
I don't have a boot virus protection program running either.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Mike

I have and use: