Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:05:12 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        kline@tera.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: still hanging up...

    Gary> 		No, not using Netscape.  Usually typing in
    Gary> mail/elm on the remote site, my workstation, when things
    Gary> lock up.  Not always, but often.

Maybe some kind of IRQ conflict?

Is your system on a network?  Can you telnet/rlogin and poke around?
Alternatively, you could plug in a terminal or a spare computer
running some term I/O software to one of your serial ports and log in
there.

    Gary> 	I know zip about tcl.... am a real newbie re
    Gary> X-hacking.  That's a good idea: a simple X-app that would do
    Gary> a shutdown.  Point-and-click shutdown! ha...

Yep!

#!/usr/local/bin/wish
foreach action {Shutdown Reboot Halt} {
    pack [button .[string tolower $action] -text $action \
	    -command "do_it $action"] -fill x
}

proc do_it {action} {
    switch -exact -- $action {
	Shutdown {
	    set arg ""
	}
	Reboot {
	    set arg "-r"
	}
	Halt {
	    set arg "-h"
	}
    }
    eval exec shutdown $arg now "Keyboard's stuck again!"
}

    Gary> 	Anybody think it could be that my /usr fs is nearing
    Gary> its over-full lim?  qv:  [deletia]

Looks like plenty of space to me.

I'm out of ideas.  Good luck!

--