Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:44:16 -0500
From:      jason <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o_Carlos_Mendes_Lu=EDs?= <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Subject:   Re: List of fake vs. real SATA drives.

João Carlos Mendes Luís wrote:

> What is the practical diference?  Performance?
>
> FUJISHIMA Satsuki wrote:
>
>> Currently native SATA drives are still not so popular. There are:
>> Seagate Barracuda ATA V, 7200.7, 7200.8
>> Maxtor DiamondMax10, MaXLineIII
>> Fujitsu MHT20xxBH(2.5 inch)
>> Any other drives (as far as I know, of course) are ATA drive with
>> serial-parallel bridge.
>>
>> At Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:36:43 -0500,
>> David Gilbert wrote:
>>
>>> Is there anyone compiling a list of "fake" vs. "real" SATA drives?
>>> The difference being "fake" drives with ATA-100 electronics and an
>>> SATA to ATA conversion chip vs. drives that really support SATA
>>> natively?

The practical difference is higher I/Os, better server(database)
performance, worse general home user single thread app performance.  You
would not want to get ant command queing if all you do is play doom3 or
other desktop stuff.  If you are running a home server you get scsi like
performance for ide prices.