Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 01:59:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Khang Trang <khang@hero.clerk.leon.fl.us>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   trouble with a seagate ST39140N 1206

help!

i'm having some problems with an adaptec 2940 and two seagate ST39140N
1206 drives running on a ppro200 with fbsd 3.0-release.

history:
the machine was formerly a redhat 5.1 linux machine and the two seagate
drives were formatted ext2fs. switched to fbsd 3.0 ... formatted the 8 gig
ibm ide drive and installed fbsd 3.0.  fbsd loads up and runs great.

everything worked great.  i was able to mount_ext2fs the two scsi seagate
drives, but then the system got rebooted a few times (without my
knowledge) and the seagate drives got corrupt (superblock was missing).
tried fsck -b with an alternate superblock to no avail.  i figured might
as well format and setup the hds as fbsd drives so i do:

camcontrol cmd -v -n da -u 0 -c "4 0 0 0 0 0"

following the examples from a post to the fbsd mail archives.

when i ran camcontrol it gave some sort of error saying could not send
command or soemthing to that extent.  no biggie i figured.  look through
the fbsd handbook and found:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/foo bs=1K count=1
disklabel etc etc etc

tried that but got this error message:

dd: /dev/rda0: Input/output error

checking dmesg there are these errors:

(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): READ(06). CDB: 8 0 0 0 1 0
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR asc:31,0
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Medium format corrupted
da0: error reading primary partition table reading fsbn 0

now i can't fdisk, fsck, disklabel, or anything on that drive.

camcontrol devlist shows the following:
<SEAGATE ST39140N 1206>            at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
<YAMAHA CDR100 1.11>               at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,cd0)
<TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5701TA 0167>    at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass2,cd1)
<SEAGATE ST39140N 1206>            at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass3,da1)

HELP!
i'm not worried about losing the data (ha! that's probably already done)
but from what i've managed to find out from teh mail archives i'm under
the impression that i'm screwed.  i haven't tried looking at the firmware
in the scsi controller (suggested to me) or a low level format (can
someone tell me how in fbsd 3.0?).  any help would be appreciated.  as
long as teh drives aren't now paperweigths i'm happy.

would it help if i took the drives out, put them in a dos machine and
format them, then put them back in and mount_msdos them? i'm considering
this route if it works.

 if you need more info please email me back.  (btw the machine is up
and running with fbsd 3.0 just don't have the two drives mounted which i
really really would like to do.  so PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THE DRIVES ARE
PAPERWEIGHTS AND I SHOULD BUY NEW ONES :(.)