Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 17:19:50 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrecord problem with current current

On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 19:28:23 +0000, Bob Bishop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> cdrecord, freshly built on last night's -current:

Freshly built?  That's cdrecord 1.8a21, which is several versions old.  I
think you should be using cdrecord 1.8 release from the ports tree.

> atlas# cdrecord -v dev=1,6,0 -inq
> Cdrecord release 1.8a21 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 J–rg Schilling
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> scsidev: '1,6,0'
> scsibus: 1 target: 6 lun: 0
> atapi: 0
> cdrecord: Warning: controller returns zero sized CD capabilities page.
> cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
> cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong page 0 for CD capabilities page
> (2A)
> .
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 2
> Response Format: 2
> Capabilities   : SYNC
> Vendor_info    : 'YAMAHA  '
> Identifikation : 'CRW4416S        '
> Revision       : '1.0f'
> Device seems to be: Generic CD-ROM.
> atlas#
>
> ...so cdrecord can't tell what the device is. Am I in trouble because the
> CDR isn't on the first SCSI controller, or has something got broken? Dmesg
> follows:

It's fine for your drive to be on a different controller.  The real
question is, has cdrecord worked fine before, or is this the first time
you've used it with your drive?

Does camcontrol work?  Try this:

camcontrol devlist
camcontrol tur cd0 -v
camcontrol inquiry cd0 -v
[ note that the inquiry command will return partially bogus results, I'm
waiting for Justin to review patches to fix that ]

Also see what happens if you try the '-prcap' option to cdrecord.

And use the latest version of cdrecord, so we can eliminate any probelms
with cdrecord.

[ ... ]
> aha0 at port 0x330-0x333 irq 11 drq 5 on isa0
> aha0: AHA-1542CF FW Rev. C.0 (ID=45) SCSI Host Adapter, SCSI ID 7, 16 CCBs
[ ... ]
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0a
> cd0 at aha0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
> cd0: <YAMAHA CRW4416S 1.0f> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> cd0: 3.300MB/s transfers
> cd0: cd present [1 x 2048 byte records]

Ken
--