Date:      Thu, 31 May 2007 12:44:37 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray.stokely@gmail.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The search box on www.freebsd.org..

Murray Stokely wrote:

> This can be addressed with sitemaps [1].  Y! claims ~5 million indexed
> freebsd.org pages.  Do we know how many documents are in our home
> grown search corpus?
>
> I think we should switch the search bar to using google or Y!, just as
> NetBSD does.

I think that given everything Yahoo! has given to the project, it
would be reasonable to give their engine serious consideration unless
there is a compelling reason not to.

I also agree with John that the current one is probably the worst part
of an otherwise excellent site. I've avoided saying anything about it
since I don't have time to offer a better solution.

Doug (Former Yahoo! employee)