Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 16:38:30 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SKey and locked account

> I'm currently experimenting with 2.2.6, FWTK and skey.
>
> 1) First thing I noticed is that it's possible for someone to log
>    into the system, even if the account is disabled ('*' in the
>    passwd field), when S/Key is enabled for that user.
>
>    Surprise to me.

"*" does not disable an account - it is an invalid crypted string which
will fail to match any crypted plaintext password, as used by login,
the r* commands and ftp (when FTP is not using s/key).

If you wish to disable a user's account, you should set their shell to
something nonexistent.  (Note that ssh may still be a way past this.)