Date:      	Fri, 19 Jan 1996 14:25:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd driver or 2.1R available

On Fri, 19 Jan 1996, Joe Greco wrote:

> > Oh sure.  One of them is "don't use a partition that starts at a
> > beginning of the slice".  So please leave some space at the beginning
> > of the slice in the partitions you are combining (sd[1-4]g in the
> > above example).  Of course, if someone can figure out why and fix it,
> > that will be great.
>
> I may be wrong, but isn't this because the standard disklabel leaves some
> space for the BIOS partition table, just in case it's the first slice on the
> disk?

  As far as I can tell from the manpage, the reason is that the ccd
disklabel could be mistaken by the system as the disk's label, because
they are in the same spot.  The first bit of every partition has space
reserved for the label, but ccd will not reserve space.

  I believe swap will not work as the first partition on a disk for the
same reason, except that swap will overwrite the label!

Tom