Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 10:46:47 -0500
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   bzip2 tries to compress itself...

I'm having a problem with bzip2, it's trying to compress itself when called
from within a shell script.  I was originally calling it with the -y option
to tar.  When that started causing me trouble I just ran bzip2 by itself.
Both ways it's trying to compress itself before it compresses the actual
file on the command line.  For example, the following command:

   /usr/local/bin/bzip2 -9 /var/backup/backup.tar

...will work fine from a prompt, but if called from a shell script, resulted
in the following:

   bzip2: I/O or other error, bailing out.  Possible reason follows.
   bzip2: Operation not permitted
      	Input file = /usr/local/bin/bzip2, output file =
/usr/local/bin/bzip2.bz2
   bzip2: Deleting output file /usr/local/bin/bzip2.bz2, if it exists.
   bzip2: WARNING: some files have not been processed:
      	2 specified on command line, 1 not processed yet.

The failure is due to me setting "schg" on bzip2, since every time it got
called it was being deleted and replaced by bzip2.bz2.

Has anyone else run into the problem, or have any insights.

Thanks
-Chris