Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:49:13 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "Justin" <asmo@bck.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SMP and Kernal Config

> Hello all,
>
> Can anyone direct me to a website with some good info on configuring a SMP
> Kernal, its gonna havwe 2 celeron PPGA 500's. ? The one question that is
> confusin me is the CPU selection, do I have too edit the config file to
> have TWO instances of i686 or will the SMP option take care of detecting
> my 2nd processor..
>
> Sorry for the silly question, Im kinda new, I have not found the answer in
> the handbook, nor the complete freeBSD book.

If you look at the SMP section of the kernel config file, it shows the
settings for the number of processors etc.  The default of two processors is
fine, simply uncomment the SMP option and the APIC I/O option, and you're
ready to roll.  You don't need to do anything with the i686 option or
anything else really.  Enabling those two lines will make most dual
processor systems work with SMP.