Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 19:28:20 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Samantha Dahl Stack <samantha@bendnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbies FAK

On 27 Jul 98, at 13:42, Samantha Dahl Stack wrote:

> Ya, what dburr said!
>
> Donald Burr wrote:
>
> > My secret spy satellite informs me that on 27-Jul-98, Dan Langille
> > wrote:

> > > I've been in there, and been abused by an op for "not having learned
> > > anything" since the last time I was there.  I've found #freebsd on
> > > undernet to be less crowded and more friendly and helpful.
> > >
> > > For an example of the kind of help I've recently obtained from that
> > > channel, try the CD-ROM and bash sections of the webpage in my
> > > signature.
> >
> > Don't write off the EFnet #freebsd channel so quickly.
> >
> > We sometimes forget that the people behind those IRC screen names are,
> > when it comes down to it, "only human."  They have all the qualities and
> > failings that humans have had for countless generations.  They have bad
> > hair days, bad work days, bad bosses, bad traffic, bad coffee, bad
> > crashes, and all sorts of things that tend to alter a human's mood for
> > the worst part.  Plain and simple, Sometimes the ops get cranky. Hell,
> > Sometimes even the USERS get cranky.  And sometimes (really, most of the
> > time, from my experience), everyone's in a happy, joking,
> > willing-to-help mood.  Unfortunately, it's "luck o the draw" sometimes.

Unfortunately, my experience was not as above.  I hesitate the name the op
in question as that would be unfair.  But yes, I've seen this person
respond in the same way more than once, and not just to me.  Mind you, I
have seen that person in a better mood from time to time.

That not withstanding, the issus is that first contact is very important.
If I get put off by the contact, imagine what other people will encounter.
 I've been on IRC several years.  I know what's acceptable and what isn't.
 I can usually tell good moods from bad.  But the reaction I received on
that one night was definitly off-putting.  Perhaps, in time, that op will
gain my trust again.

I'm an op on more than one channel, so I know what you are referrring to.
But that doesn't change the situation.  I've been bad to efnet #freebsd
since.
--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited