Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 08:59:12 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOLVED: Neither aterm, eterm, nor rxvt can su to root in 4.3

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 03:03:01PM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> You know I have a weird problem with aterm (which uses the rxvt core AFAIK)..
> When I run tclsh8.2 (or maybe 8.3?) on my 4-STABLE, XFree86 4 system either ( or )
> (I can't remember which) generates a backspace (!)
>
> Related?

Uh oh, I have this, too, on my laptop.  I noticed it several days ago,
but promptly forgot about it when I moved on to do something else.  In
my case, I was trying to  do something interactively with guile -- you
can imagine how impossible that is without '(' :-)

 $ uname -a
 FreeBSD ophelia.nectar.com 4.3-BETA FreeBSD 4.3-BETA #3: Sun Mar 18 19:13:38 CST 2001 root@ophelia.nectar.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/OPHELIA  i386
 $ echo '(no problem with parens here)'
 (no problem with parens here)
 $ cat
 Hell
 Hell
 $

With the `cat', I actually typed `Hello(\n'.

 $ stty -a
 speed 38400 baud; 24 rows; 80 columns;
 lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe echok echoke -echonl echoctl
         -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho pendin -nokerninfo
         -extproc
 iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff -ixany imaxbel -ignbrk
         brkint -inpck ignpar -parmrk
 oflags: opost onlcr -ocrnl -oxtabs -onocr -onlret
 cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd -hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts
         -dsrflow -dtrflow -mdmbuf
 cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
         eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^H; erase2 = (; intr = ^C; kill = ^U;
         lnext = ^V; min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q;
         status = ^G; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;

Hmm, somewhere erase2 is getting set to the left paren.

This is  happening with  xterm and  rxvt, but not  on the  console.  I
can't reproduce it on my desktop, which is running the same version of
FreeBSD and XFree86.  I guess now that  I'm aware of it again I'll try
to figure out what is going on.  Hints welcome.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org