Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 18:18:51 +0300
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <rssh@cki.ipri.kiev.ua>
To:        dk+@ua.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: on the subject of changes to -RELEASEs...

Dmitry Kohmanyuk wrote:

> In article <334E1FEE.1BC7@cki.ipri.kiev.ua> you wrote:
> > Warner Losh wrote:
> > >
> > > In message <1652.860709359@time.cdrom.com> "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> > > : > how about making these "well known" files such as /etc/resolv.conf,
> > > : > /etc/host.conf and other stuff symlinks into /var/etc ? This is
> > > :
> > > : I'm starting to get a headache. :-)
> > >
> > > I hate to say this, but I kinda like this idea.
> > >
> > > Does somebody have a cononical list of these files so that some brave
> > > soles can begin to experiment?
>
> > I think, exists some standarts.
> >  SIUC, POSIX
>
> s/SIUC/SVID/ ? That's System V Interface Definition...  I don't
> think it defines and names within file system...

 NO, I mean Single Unix Specification (from X/open)

 http://www.xopen.org

> > I don't know, are they defined canonical filenames,
> > but I think, that yes. (Sorry, but i have
> > no time for web-surfing now)

May be in future, now they have
   1. --- commands and utilities
   2. --- headers and C API.

but, for example exists DCE standarts, which determinate, for
example,
  /etc/krb5/
  /etc/soneinfo/

(It's intereesting, are anybody have Posix 1003.2  1003.7 1003.13,
1003.18 ?

> I don't know about POSIX much, but judging from my experience,
> I can tell you:
>
> There _cannot_ be a standard under which Solaris, SunOS, AIX, HP-UX,
> SCO, Digital Unix, FreeBSD and Linux all comply.   The set intersection
> is _empty_.

  /etc/termcap,
  /etc/passwd particulary,

> It looks to me that those standards do not exist.

 Yes, but in fuzzy sence, why I can have in office Unix ZOO
  (Ultrix, OSF, SCO, FreeBSD, now ) and after intersection of files,
 I receive:

liases
exports
fstab
ftpusers
group
hosts
hosts.equiv
hosts.lpd
inetd
inetd.conf
magic
motd
namedb
networks
passwd
printcap
profile
protocols
resolv.conf
rmt
rpc
sendmail.cf
services
shells
termcap
ttys
uucp

> resolv.conf, for example, is pure BIND-isms.  (host.conf can be even FreeBSDism with its format -
> compare that on Linux.  service.switch (sendmail).  nsswitch.conf (Solaris).  svc.conf(?)(OSF).)
> etc.

Fuzzy logic, or what is Unix in historical sence ?

 It's API + commands for programmers, but:

 *number of most common use software* for sysadmins.

it is: BIND, sendmail, inetd, uucp ....

and set of well-known files, IMHO, *must be constant*

for example, if I have admintool, which work with this files,
in WindowsNT-style ? (I mean mouse-moving).

> The idea of having read-only root filesystem and separate configuration information
> has its merit, but some files have to be there or you loose look-and-feel compatibility
> with whatever Unices we still have it.
>
> Union or overlap mount idea with symlinks can be neat, though.

Hm. first day I install system, next two week I try understand why
nothing work and manually do symlinks ?

Are you relly think in such style ?

> How about absolutely basic /etc which re-mounts /etc partion on top of itself
> and re-executes boot scripts?   I don't think its a good thing for a standard configuration, though.

  It's terribly.