Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 1998 20:04:46 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Plea to core team

John Sconiers writes:
> I don't think that would be fare.  I upgraded from 2.2.7 to 3.0-release
> maybe about 2 weeks after it was released for many resons.
>
> 1.  IDE cd-burner and tape drive support (I have an IDE tape Drive on the
>     desktop)
> 2.  SCSI System change
> 3.  better mouse sound, pnp, support,(desktop)
> 4.  Async IO
> 5.  Lern more about the development as well as develop my own projects
>     etc.

Looks like 5 good reasons to me. 5 more reasons than the luser who
started all this bulk.

Presumably John didn't install FreeBSD 3.0 on his one and only
coprporate email host. Especially without smoke testing it for a week
or two offline. Heck, I don't put Solaris or Irix in the hot seat at
work until I'm assured its not going to bite me. Am even leary of
applying maintenance and security patches on a production box.

I've got some SGI O2's with Irix 6.3 now with a badly broken swmgr
(SGI's software installation tool and package manager). Strange the ones
in *that* room configured the same all broke but the ones in another
room configured differently didn't. All installed and patched from the
same set of CD's. Upgrade to Irix 6.5 cures the problem. I mention this
because sh*t happens, no matter how much regression testing one does.

Spent the weekend putting 3.0 on this machine. It wasn't a terribly
smooth ride, didn't expect it to be. Was deliberately waiting until
3.0-release for the developers to quit actively adding new features and
shift into "making it stable" mode. Didn't make it easy on myself, at
the same time I changed video and ethernet boards, and added a sound
card. Video works but I can't startx the way I used to. Sound card
works under NT but not 2.2.7 or 3.0 yet. You don't hear me griping.