Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:39:46 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        bsalle@nwrain.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I want to get freebsd to download

bsalle@nwrain.com:
 |I want to get freebsd and I downloaded the ftp boot.flp file but 2 things
 |have come up
 |
 |1. how can I partition my laptop for freebsd and still keep my windows 95
 |applications for my Mortgage Company. we use a software called calyx
 |Point for Windows (TM.)  so please get back to me asap thanks Brandon at
 |diminish19@yahoo.com

First, you may want to post to mobile@freebsd.org and verify that your
laptop and its hardware (video card, etc.) is well supported under FreeBSD.

Then, the disk.  Your MSW95 partition likely takes the whole disk.  You'll
want to shrink it down to make some space for FreeBSD.  FIPS will do this.
(www.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools).  How much you need depends on what all
you want to install.

Then once you've freed up some space, downloaded the pieces of the
distribution you want (BIN, MANPAGES, etc.), and put them someplace the
sysinstall can get to them (see the docs) you're ready to go.  FreeBSD
comes with a boot manager called BootEasy that'll let you boot between your
OSs.  OS/BSbeta is a good choice too (also in the tools directory).

More info at www.freebsd.org/tutorials/multios/multios.html and
www.freebsd.org/docs.html

Good luck!

Randall Hopper