Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:26:49 -0500
From:      Dan Kilbourne <bsd-lists@netophilia.net>
To:        goose bla <goosefreebsd@zoznam.sk>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setup POP3 clinet pine

goose bla extolled:

I recommend you run fetchmail (available in ports) to fetch your POP3
mail, then use pine to read your local mail spool.

You can create a .fetchmailrc with a line like this:
(other stuff will need to be in there for it to work well)

poll $SERVER proto pop3 user "$USER" pass "$PASS" is \
$LOCALUSER here options fetchall warnings 3600;

where :
	$SERVER    == mail servername
	$USER      == mail username
	$PASS      == mail password
	$LOCALUSER == local user account that will run pine

I use this with mutt and it works flawlessly, and someone else uses it
with pine on my machine with no issues. Would this solve it for you?

That being said, you can also apparently use pine to directly pop your
mail.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pine+pop3&btnG=Google+Search
seems to give some links with info on it.

Personally, I think since pine was originally designed to read directly
from a mail spool, I would go the fetchmail route.