Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 22:28:20 -0600
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        Mark Morley <mark@amtmedia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.5r: fatal trap 12

On Saturday 23 March 2002 09:41 pm, Mark Morley wrote:
> Earlier today I got this on a brand new 4.5-RELEASE setup:

I've seen a lot of fatal trap 12 problem reports on stable@ (and maybe once
or twice on hackers@) about 4.5-R (I had one of these myself with 4.5-RC1 and
another with 4.5-R).  FWIW I haven't had any problems since upgrading to
-stable (I'm running a March 15 system right now), so you may want to try
that.

Another suggestion I saw (you might want to check the archives) is to check
your hardware.  Specifically try replacing RAM and seeing if that helps.

If it's not hardware, then try using a debug kernel
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html)
so you can get a useful backtrace.

-David

--
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand...

Center for Cosmological Physics
The University of Chicago