Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 00:20:21 -0700
From:      "Col.Panic" <panic@antix.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: log-in-vain [ was: 10 days ]

wow...

sorry for the late reply, but the software you are referring to is called
portsentry, and was developed by Psionic software
(http://www.psionic.com/abacus/portsentry/)

I've been running the software, and it seems to do a pretty solid job of
finding and blocking port scan attempts.

They also have a cool module-based program called hostsentry.  It 'watches'
your user's login behaviors, and blocks out abnormalities.

-Jason

At 11:17 AM 4/21/2000 -0400, you wrote:

> > > Something you might want to do, if you haven't already, is enable
> > > log_in_vain in /etc/rc.conf by adding 'log_in_vain="YES"'.
> > > It will log connection attempts on ports that have nothing listening on
> > > them. It can be very enlightening.
> >

>Same thing goes for logging ipfw on the rejects.  It's interesting sometimes
>to fire up
>another IP alias and see the people scanning by...
>
> > but what does one *do* with the info?  there is so much scanning and so
> > many baby cracker attempts that it does little good writing to source
>address
> > admins.  and the sources are spoofed in the majority of the cases anyway.
>
>The best defense is to have as much control or rather restriction as
>possible over
>what goes on.  If it's not needed why have it running.  If a service on a
>machine
>only needs to talk to one other machine use ipfw and restrict it.  Every
>little bit helps.
>
>Then sit back, keep things up to date, watch the mailing lists for bugs, and
>just watch what's
>going on.  Like with spam you probably don't send complaints about everyone
>of them.
>

> > while i think log watching is important, it can be massive
> > data.  so i try to keep it down to those data about which i can do
>something,
> > either by changing my defenses or by dealing with the source of the
>problem.
> >

>I saw something mentioned a while back on the list that might be of help.
>It was a program
>that would watch for network scanners.  Then when one was found scanning
>around it would send
>a route packet to your core router to forward all traffic from that scanners
>IP to the scan watching machine.  The server then would route the detected
>scanner to I believe a null device or just let the scanner rescan that box
>again.  You would just route small chunks of your network(s) to the scan
>detection machine.  I thought it sounded great but haven't had the time to
>contact the author about it.
>
>I don't recall any further discussion on it but what do others think about
>that?  Curious to know...
>
>Jason Portwood - jason@iac.net
>Systems Administrator - Strategic/Internet Access Cincinnati
>Sales and Tech Support - 513-860-9052

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message

-[TR] Col.Panic			     The
Founder					|      |    |
Webmaster					|      |----/
Postmaster					|ech's |    \ evenge