Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 21:47:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS P2L97DS

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Aaron D. Gifford wrote:

> > I can't answer the questions you asked, but I can tell you this: the
> > P2L97 is not a good performer. It has only three DIMM slots and two
> > ISA slots (although the latter is actually an advantage if you're not
> > planning to use any ISA cards); it is also, to put it mildly, not the
> > fastest LX motherboard around. If I were you, I'd either buy a Tyan or
> > ABIT board instead, or wait for the ASUSTek's *next* LX model.
>
> I don't have anything to compare with and I haven't done any benchmarks,
> so take this with a grain of salt: my P2L97 with a P-II 300MHz on it &
> 256MB screams!

  I agree with that.  The original poster doesn't really seem to qualify
what "not a good performer" means either.  The poster should back up
wild statements with some facts.  The ASUS P2L97 is a good board.

  Also, the P2L97DS has 4 DIMM sockets.  Only the P2L97 has three DIMMs.
Either way, that is enough for 384MB of RAM using 128MB DIMMs.  BTW, the
only DIMMs I've ever seen are 128MB...

  I don't care about ISA cards either.  I don't know why anyone would put
16 bit cards in a P2 motherboard.  The fewer ISA slots the better.  Can't
wait until a ZERO ISA slot motherboard is made.  Means more room for PCI
slots.

Tom