Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 16:00:12 -0700
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Attempt to compromise root

At 11:20 AM 6/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> (2) Can we get an option during the FreeBSD install to generate the
>> md5/mtree digest?  Naturally, I read up on this feature after the
>
>You mean of the exact tree you've installed?  Hmmmm.  There are
>the foo.mtree files in each distribution, but is there some reason
>why that wouldn't be enough?  The bin.mtree file in particular
>pretty much covers any of the binaries you'd probably be interested
>in...

During the install might not be as usefull as during the make world
process.  I know I've put together the mtree information for systems that I
look after, and having to do it anytime I update a file is a little
annoying (in general I forget to update it until the nightly run is done
and it complains that things are different than what it expects).

Another possiblity (and I don't know how practical this might be), is to
incorporate mtree into the normal nightly security check.

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu