Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:42:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        randyk@ccsales.com (Randy Katz)
Cc:        jcvp@dextracode.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 How to upgrade to 2.2.6

According to Randy Katz:
> Hi,
>
> I have found, if you're connected to the 'net, to like this procedure:
>
> 1. pkg_add ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CVSup/cvsupit.tgz
> 2. Say yes to everything except to do the Update and the firewall, ports
> as you wish...
> 3. vi /etc/cvsupfile
> 4. change RELENG_2_2 to RELENG_2_2_6_RELEASE
> 5. cvsup -L 2 -g /etc/cvsupfile
> 6. cd /usr/src
> 7. make world (do not reboot afterwards, this takes a long time).
> 8. backup /etc/ (cd /etc; tar cvf /tempdir/etcback.tar)
> 9. cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> 10. cp GENERIC MYKERNEL (your kernel)
> 11. vi MYKERNEL (edit as desired)
> 12. config MYKERNEL
> 13. cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
> 14. make depend; make; make install
> 15. cd /usr/obj/etc (not sure on this one, pulling from memory)
> 16. rm master.passwd, group, rc.conf (look at this one and merge where
> necessary), and whichever other files you have modified.
> 17. copy to /etc the rest (with subdirectories).
> 18. vi /etc/fstab
> 19. change wd0a to wd0s1a
> 20. reboot the beast
>
> You could most likely do the same from the CD and a boot floppy (the latest).

	This is the kind of cookbook files that I'll salt away in
	my ~/.HowTo file.

	Not being familiar with cvsup, I haven't a clue where your
	first 5 steps are correct... .   There is one way to find
	out.

	Above, after `13.' isn't is wise to do a complete deletion
	of the /usr/obj tree and then use find -exec to rm all
	symlinks to obj??

	Comments?  Can anybody expand upon this list?

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix