Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 2002 19:11:21 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Dimitry Andric <dim@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not installed by cd /usr/src;make install

Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2002-12-18 at 16:35:24 Julian Stacey wrote:
>
> JS> With  5.0-RC1 /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 is not installed by `cd
> JS> /usr/src;make install` the date stamp remains old.
>
> Yes it is, but it isn't modified if the freshly compiled file is
> exactly the same as the currently existing file. Please check out
> /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/Makefile, where you can see that it is
> installed with flags "-fschg -C -b" to install(1).

Thanks !  Sorry for my bad report, I did a (too quick) look with
`cd /usr/src ; find . -name rtld` but failed to seek rtld\*

> The same thing is done for the a.out dynamic loader.

/usr/src/libexec/rtld-aout/Makefile:
	INSTALLFLAGS= -fschg -C # -C to install as atomically as possible

Does FreeBSD need to preserve the date
	( like ar r libc.a & ranlib scenarios of old) ?
or is this `atomically as possible' avoidance of date change, just a hope
that it'll be done quicker ?  in which case should we add a subsequent
	touch /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1
so that the target directory doesn't look suspiciously un-updated ?

> Btw, you should probably use "make installworld" instead of "make
> install". :-)

Yes I suppose so after any current src/ updates,
	But mine is a virginal unchanged "binaries match sources"
	system, fresh from 5.0-RC1-i386-disc1.iso.  I just did a
	simple install to ensure nothing else was still missing,
	after a repair of hard disk libs from 5.0-RC1-i386-disc2.iso
	& then checked bin & lib dates looked OK.
	BTW World started when I sent last mail.

Julian Stacey
jhs @ berklix.com   Computer Systems Engineer, Unix & Net Consultant, Munich.
  Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Schnupftabak probieren.
  Munich BSD Conference:		http://berklix.org/conf/
  Spam phrases triggering deletion:	http://berklix.com/jhs/mail/