Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 22:37:01 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        cykyc@yahoo.com
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>, Gnome List <gnome-list@gnome.org>
Subject:   Re: fxtv (STB) and audio issues -- Live!, PCI512. emu10k1

   Weird... but my card is now working (sans the rear speakers,
natch).  If you're really interested in the steps I took in getting
it working, read on.  After writing most of this message, I came back
to the top to let you know that I'm going to post this for posterity
-- so I probably get into more detail than you're interested in
suffering.
   In one of the messages I found in the archives that I mentioned to
you, one person spoke of seeing a "/dev/dsp busy" error , or
somenthing to that effect.  Another person recommended using syscntl
to set hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4 so as to eliminate the conflict.
   Well, I opened a console when trying to make some noise and found
the same error.  sysctl showed my hw.snd.pcm0.vchans = 0, so I tried
out the advice.  The value went from 0 to 4 -- but didn't seem to
change anything.
   In desparation, I rebooted the box and checked hw.snd.pcm0.vchans,
which was back to 0.  Figuring I hadn't made any headway and now
grasping at straws, I chose a different wm (rather than
Sawfish/Gnome) from the wdm login screen -- and it worked!
The sound (cdcontrol and xmms) worked!  I tried every other wm --
including Sawfish w/ Gnome -- and I now have sound.  Go figure...
   I am guessing that using sysctl to set the umber of dsp's to 4
that one time (A) did something to trigger something in the card...
or (B) maybe had some cascading effect on some default setting in a
FreeBSD config file... or (C) Gnome and/or Sawfish was hosing the
sound.
   I purposely tried several wm's before trying Gnome & Sawfish
(G/S).  Then, when I started the G/S session, I had no sound effects
(Gnome's "Sound Events"), even though those had been turned on in the
Gnome Control Center.  (Btw, I have always had the Sawfish sound
events turned off.)  But I started xmms (by typing "xmms" in an
xterm) -- and it worked.  Likewise with cdcontrol.  So, I tempted
fate and fired up the Gnome Control Center and checked my Sound
Events; they were still turned on and I tried clicking on the [Play]
button for some of the events -- and they actualy played.  (Just in
response to my clicking the button in the control center -- not in
response to the actual events, such as logging in/out, clicking on
checkboxes, etc...)  So, on a hunch, I logged out (just to the wdm
login screen -- I left the system running, this time) and logged back
in again, directly to G/S.  As I did, the login wave played and
everything seems to be working as it's supposed to (except, of
course, for the rear speakers).
   Tempting fate yet again, I logged out of my own account (in which
all of the above activity took place -- not root's) and logged into
G/S, again, using another user account which had the sound events
turned off.  I turned them on and tried to test them -- to no avail.
(But xmms did work.)  Unfazed, I simply logged out, then back into
G/S under that login -- and the sound events worked.
   So, for what it's worth, I should note that Gnome seems to start
up Esound at login and keeps it running.  When I started all those
other wm's, I checked for the presence of the Esound daemon (esd),
and none of them started it (which makes sense, given that I don't
have any sound events set to run via any of the wm's).  Per soemone's
suggestion, I set up xmms to use esd, when ut didn't work w/ oss.
Xmms will start esd, but then esd will go away when xmms is done with
it.  I'm not sure what the connection is, but I found it curious
that, after running that sysctl command to set the # of dsp's to 4
and rebooting, that:
1) xmms and cdcontrol began working immediately for (presumably) any
login (all associated dev's had open perm's, btw -- before and after
"fix")
2-a) Gnome sound events did not work upon first logging in for any
login
2-b) Gnome sound events could be sampled via the [Play} button in its
control center for the first user to log in -- but not the second and
3) Gnome sound events began working properly (reacting to events as
well as responding to the [Play} button in the control center) with
each user's second login after the "fix."
   (I quote "fix" because I am not convinced that running that sysctl
command had any more of an effect on my system than some unusual
astronomical alignment might have had by way of tugging at some
wayward electrons in my sound card... given that I know about as much
about the capability of either cause to have had the desired effect.)
   Well, unfortunately, this isn't very scientific in its isolation
of the problem and/or solution (namely in that neither is really
isolated), but I'm posting this to FreeBSD-questions and the
Gnome-list just in case someone else comes to grasping at straws and
might find this worth trying.  Also, perhaps someone who works on the
associated pieces (be it Gnome, esd, the pcm driver, Sawfish0 might
find something in this worthy of investigation.  But then... maybe
not.
   Now, if only I can get my ATI All-In-Wonder card going... :-)
Bob

P.S.  If anyone from the freebsd-questions list wishes to reply to
me, please do so to my e-mail addy.  I've unsubscribed from that
list, for now.  My time's been getting a bit pinched, lately.  Thanks.

--
Did you know... that the phrase, "in the limelight," originated in
the 1800's, when "limelights" were used for stage illumination?  Lime