Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:04:51 -0500
From:      Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com>
To:        Wayne Pascoe <freebsd-feb@penguinpowered.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't connect to ftp server

At 11:24 AM 2/17/2004, Wayne Pascoe wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:19:10AM -0500, Marty Landman wrote:
>
> > I can't connect to ftp from another box.
>
>Couple of things to check...
>
>1. Does /usr/libexec/ftpd exist

yes

>2. Is there anything listening on port 21
>    (netstat -an | grep LISTEN | grep 21)

nope, but tcp4 && tcp46 are listening on port 22; so I just connected that way.

>3. Check the contents of /var/log/messages

nothing appears here when I try to connect on port 21 and as said I can
connect on port 22

>Hope that helps...

Well, I know more than before and I can get sftp access to my fbsd box so
yes. Now I gather the problem is that the machine isn't listening on port
21; is that supposed to be controlled by inetd? What do I do now?

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
This Month's New Quiz --- Past Superbowl Winners