Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 14:31:05 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jbryant@tfs.net
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maintainer of ft/lft

Jim Bryant stands accused of saying:

> > > Who is the current maintainer(s) of the ft driver and/or the lft
> > > program??
> >
> > Anyone silly enough to both buy that type of hardware and then ask
> > that type of question...
> >
> > The code is not being actively maintained because no one with the
> > ability owns the hardware and cares to do it.  This was recently
> > discussed.
>
> terry, i'm really sorry, but i have got to really say this...
>
> HOW CAN YOU BE SO F***ING IGNORANT???

And you're going to flame me too Jim, because I, like a lot of other
people here, hold the same opinion?

> As one in QIC observer status [check the QIC mailing list], I can
> assure you that by sheer numbers alone, the vast majority of tape
> drives in existance are QIC-117 compatable...

That's the '50 billion flies' argument.  It doesn't work.

> need i say anything else???

Yeah, you could try addressing Terry's point, which is that there is
no intersection of the sets "have stupid floppytape" and "can/will
maintain floppytape driver".

As has been thrashed out a million times before; the devices are
fundamentally _crap_.  Supporting them is a serious drag, and it
would seem that unless there is _money_ in it, nobody is going to
sacrifice their time to do the hard work involved.