Date:      Sun, 12 May 2002 21:24:20 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rafter Man <rafter@linuxmail.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 3 in 1

On 2002-05-12 19:11, Rafter Man wrote:
> [...]

	The source for this is under /usr/src.

> 2. The port collection

	The ports live under /usr/ports.

> 3. Installed ports

	These live wherever you have installed them.
	Usually this is /usr/local but it's not mandatory.

> With cvsup you can upgrade the base system and the port collection
> right? Will RELENG_4_5 also download patches for installed ports?

CVSup can be used to upgrade any of the source directories I mentioned
above.  You can either upgrade /usr/src or /usr/ports or both.  It's
up to you to choose what you want to upgrade.

> I can see from www.freebsd.org/security that there are security
> fixes for ports I have not installed, so will RELENG_4_5 download
> them?

A port is a program.  A utility, or library that you can install.  If
there are security problems with some programs, but you just don't use
or have installed these programs, you really don't care about the
security problems it might have.

> And just one more question :-), when I upgrade the base system,
> don't I have to make world?

With CVSup you update the sources of the base system under /usr/src.
Your installed files that live in /usr/bin, /usr/lib and other parts
of the tree are not touched by CVSup.  You would have to rebuild
everything from the sources, if that's your preferred method of
upgrading.

For binary upgrades (these are more popular among the Linux
distributions) you would have to backup everything, and install a
newer release from scratch when it comes out.

--
Giorgos Keramidas    - http://www.FreeBSD.org
keramida@FreeBSD.org - The Power to Serve