Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2000 14:39:01 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, Marco van de Voort <marcov@stack.nl>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux, Solaris, and NT

Dennis wrote:

> Source is more of a "hassle", binary loads right up. the SNMP package is a
> great example. Doing it from source is a nightmare. Missing includes, wrong
> paths. compile failures. The package loads right up and Im running.

This is an example of why the build environment must be considered
part of the source code. Look at commercial Linux distributions for
more examples.

> Reverse engineering is a myth. The result is so inferior to high-level
> language source code as to not be a concern, plus its illegal so it cant be
> marketed.

Apparently you never did reverse engineering. When I did such things
I got the code de-compiled (manually) back to the C language. It's a
bit boring but not too much work even for the RISC machines (and
mauch easier for IA-32 than for RISC). And it's legal to do outside US
for the purpose of learning the interfaces. (I believe that it should
be made legal in US too).

-SB