Date:      Tue, 08 May 2001 07:49:17 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   The spic driver (was Re: Sony Z600-HEK - un-recommendation)

Richard Tobin wrote:

>> 1. Screen brightess - Only works under windows.
>

> Here is a program to set the brightness under FreeBSD.  0 seems to be
> full brightness, 255 minimum.  You'll have to be root to run it.  It's
> based on a Linux program.

[...]

I sort of envision the spic driver as being a base driver upon which
higher order functionality could be added -- somewhat like atkbdc. The
jogdial driver would be one such customer, a driver for this brightness
futzing would be another.

Alternatively, /dev/spic could simply be a low level interface with sort
of read register / write register ioctls being available from user space.

All of that is basically waiting on suitably stable ACPI support. Right
now the spic driver has ugly pci access hacks to map itself into memory.
By rights, it should simply use ACPI to configure itself automagically.

Anyhow, I put -stable on my Vaio because ACPI wasn't ready yet. If
anyone can confirm that they have ACPI working on a Z505 series Vaio, I
might come back. :-)