Date:      Sun, 01 Apr 2001 05:59:09 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf leak? fxp?

In message <4hiSybB2jC@dmeyer.dinoex.sub.org>, Dirk Meyer writes:
> Archie Cobbs wrote:,
> =

> > I have this machine that starts running out of mbufs every few days
> > ("looutput: mbuf allocation failed") and then crashes, and was wonder=
ing
> > if anyone else has seen similar behavior...
> > =

> > [...]
> > =

> > It appears that something is slowly eating up mbuf clusters.
> > The machine is on a network with continuous but very low volume
> > traffic, including some random multicast, NTP, etc. The machine
> > itself is doing hardly anything at all.
> > =

> > (Possibly) relevant information:
> > =

> >   - FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE
> >   - Ethernet driver is fxp(4)
> >   - Using ipfw(4) and divert(4)
> >   - mysql is running, which uses a UNIX domain socket
> > =

> > (Possibly) relevant clue:
> > =

> >   - We have other machines configured almost identically but which
> >     are not using the fxp(4) driver (and which are handling lots more=

> >     traffic) that don't show this problem.
> > =

> > Any ideas?? I wonder if there's some obscure error condition in the
> > fxp(4) driver that has a memory leak.
> =

> I saw somthing similar with "Ethernet driver de(4)"
> A bad workaround seem to be a daily call to:
> =

> ifconfig <interface> down
> ifconfig <interface> up
> =

> I reported it, but nobody had summiten any followup yet:
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D24949

I've had this problem with a 3C509B card, ep(4) driver.  It would get =

locked up when sending data to a much slower machine.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC