Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:01:16 +0100
From:      Andrew Prewett <prewett@kronos.HostUniverse.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Gerry <gerryng@i.am>
Subject:   Re: JDK Problem

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 12:45:01AM +0800, Gerry wrote:
> Hello,
>
>         I have installed FreeBSD 4.2 without X in my computer. It seems that
> it doesn't work with JDK1.1.8. When I try to compile the Java classes, it
> shows up a core dump. Someone in newsgroup told me that I can install the
> JDK in /usr/ports/java/jdk/. I typed "make", it shows up an error
> "Makefile:27: *** missing separator.  Stop." I found out that line 27 is
> .include <bsd.port.pre.mk>. So can you please tell me what the problem is
> and how can I make my computer working fine with JDK? Thanks!

 Make sure you using the `bsd' make from /usr/bin, not gmake to build the
ports. JDK1.1.8 requires few old libraries. You can install them from
/usr/src/lib/compat/compat3x.i386/. And don't forget ldconfig after, ie.
`ldconfig /usr/lib/compat'. Set the PATH/CLASSPATH and you are done.

Hope this helps,

	-Andrew