Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:45:14 -0400
From:      Adam Martin <adam@fsl.cs.sunysb.edu>
To:        Jeff Cross <jeff.cross@averageadmins.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PE850 and FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE - Boot Issues

On 2006 Sep 18 , at 16:25, Jeff Cross wrote:

> I am trying to run FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE on a Dell PowerEdge 850 with
> some
> booting issues.  I have searched the archives and found someone having
> problem with the machine "booting too fast" but my problem is a little
> different.  My machine hangs up after the following line is displayed
> during boot:
>
> acd0: CDROM <TEAC CD-ROM CD-224E-N/3.AB> at ata0-master UDMA33
>
> I have to poke the machine in the eye to get it back.  The keyboard and
> everything locks up at that point.  The only way I can get the machine
> to boot up successfully is to use option 5 from the boot menu, Verbose
> Logging.
>
> Is there a way around this?  I know this is ghetto but just being able
> to make the machine use that boot menu option as the default would work
> fine I believe.  It would ultimately be nice to not have this issue on
> boot but the verbose logging option seems to boot fine so that would
> work for the interim.
>
> I am attaching my dmesg output from the verbose boot.  I can't seem to
> get anything in messages or dmesg from one of the failed boot attempts.

	I do not know what's causing this, but for the meantime, if you edit
/boot/defaults/loader.conf and copy the line that reads:

verbose_loading="NO"

	Paste this line into /boot/loader.conf, (or /boot/loader.conf.local,
depending upon your setup...) and change NO to YES.  This will force
verbose loading, always.  I don't know if this will do everything
IDENTICAL to boot option 5, however, when looking at the Forth code for
it, it appears that it will, on first glance (but I'm a bit rusty on
that...)

> Any help is greatly appreciated.  If more information is required to
> troubleshoot this further, please let me know.

	Good luck.  I hope that people still read this thread, to help
diagnose your dmesg, and find your problem.  This is really just a
temporary fix.

[dmesg trimmed for brevity]

Cheers,

--