Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 10:59:09 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>, Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RFC 822 misconceptions

On Wednesday,  4 November 1998 at 11:07:53 -0800, rick hamell wrote:

>> It appears to me that RFC822 does not preclude HTML formatting, or
>> lines longer than 72 chars.  I am not suggesting that we
>> can't/shouldn't, by convention, use Greg's suggestions, just that he
>> can't use RFC822 to back up his desire.
>
> 	It's called common curtesy. Greg's suggestions are based on
> formating that all E-mail readers can read, AND still allow the recepient
> to read the message. It's one more step in helping 'us' (the Unix
> crowd,) keep Microsoft from taking over the Internet. If you wish to
> receive HTML formated E-mail, feel free to do so. I for one get 1000+
> messages a day that I read through PINE on 6 different computers. Any and
> all HTML formatted email messages get sent back with a nice header asking
> them to remove all HTML crap out of it if they wish a reply. Remeber...
> it's us against Microsoft... not us against us!

Well, to be fair, it's more in favour of sensible, easy-to-read mail
messages than against Microsoft.  You'll notice (if you look *really*
carefully :-) that I actually state that Microsoft has an advantage
over UNIX mail readers in one area.  It's not against Microsoft, it's
against mediocrity.  Unfortunately, at the moment it's difficult to
see this distinction.

Greg