Date:      Sun, 13 Nov 1994 02:24:13 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        ports@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   A warning on pkg_deletes.

I'm sure Satoshi will say this a lot more times in the next few days,
but ports authors - PLEASE check your packing lists!  If you do a pkg_delete
of something and it blows the user's whole /usr/local (or worse!) away,
you can take my word for it that said user will NOT be happy and it will
give the _entire_ packages collection a black eye!  The other porters will
not be happy with you either since that user will most likely be screaming
"the packages suck!!  they deleted my entire collection of software!!"
in the newsgroups and making it looks like *all* the packages are bad,
not just yours.

In summary:  pkg_deletes that do anything other than exactly what they're
supposed to are very very evil and *everyone* should run a pkg_delete -n
on their package to see exactly what it would do.  If the output makes
your hair stand on end, please fix it! :-)

						Jordan