Date:      Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:44:01 +0000
From:      Harlan Stenn <stenn@ntp.isc.org>
To:        Florent Thoumie <flz@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Harlan Stenn <stenn@ntp.isc.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade issue

Thanks, here goes.

I maintain a number of FreeBSD sites, each running a number of machines.

I need to find a way to have 'portupgrade -Ppa' (and various similar
incantations, including -F) *not* download certain packages, even if
these packages are pre-built on the master site.  These packages
*should* be installed if they are found in the local package repository,
however.

Here's the back-story.

I want to make it as easy as possible for me to keep these machine
up-to-date.

Certain ports/packages are Large and it is much more efficient for me to
fetch a pre-built packages whenever possible.

On certain machines, however, I need to make sure packages are built
with nonstandard/customized options (postfix and apache2 come to mind).
I tend to put these options in the Makefile.local in the appropriate
ports/ subdirectories.

When I build and package these ports, it is fine for them to be
installed from the local packages repo.

If I can find a way to specify this behavior, then my updates (and I bet
the updates of other folks who I bet have similar needs) will become
Significantly easier.

Did I explain this sufficiently?

Thanks...