Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:07:44 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq ML530 - SMP problem

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 02:00:03PM -0300, Marcio Merlone wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yes, but.. how the heck should I do that? The only boot-time
> configuration is the [F10] for Compaq utilities and could not find
> anything about smp there... how to get to bios configuration?

When you hit F10 for the System Utilities, hit (I think...) CTRL-A,
and you _should_ get a message to the effect that advanced config
options are now available.  I can't remember precisely what the
option is called, but it is very ovbiously to do with multi-
processor operation.  There should be three settings for APIC mode,
and you need the one that mentions "Full table, mapped ..." (one is
just full table, and it's not this one you want.)

I am really sorry to be so vague - I just go through and change the
settings without taking much notice of the text...

Let me know if you can't find it, and I'll test it on one of my boxes
tomorrow when I get back to the office.

> Sorry if it is a lammer question, but..

Gods no, it seems to fox a fair few folk...

> [...]
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        5
> >>9:C          8   27
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        5
> >>9:D          8   27
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        5
> >>5:A          8   26
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        5
> >>5:B          8   26
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        5
> >>5:C          8   26
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        5
> >>5:D          8   26
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        2
> >>5:A          8   25
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        2
> >>5:B          8   25
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        2
> >>5:C          8   25
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        2
> >>5:D          8   25
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        2
> >>6:A          8   24
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        2
> >>6:B          8   24
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        2
> >>6:C          8   24
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        2
> >>6:D          8   24
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        5
> >>4:A          8   22
> >>           INT     active-lo       level        5
> >>4:B          8   21
> >>           INT     active-hi        edge       15
> >> 1          8    1
> >>           INT     active-hi        edge       15
> >> 0          8    2
> >>           INT     active-hi        edge       15
> >> 3          8    3
> >>           INT     active-hi        edge       15
> >> 4          8    4
> >>           INT     active-hi        edge       15
> >> 6          8    6
> >>           INT     active-hi        edge       15
> >> 7          8    7
> >>           INT     active-hi        edge       15
> >> 8          8    8
> >>           INT     active-lo       level       15
> >> 9          8    9
> >>           INT     active-hi        edge       15
> >>12          8   12
> >>           INT     active-lo       level       15
> >>13          8   13
> >>           INT     active-hi        edge       15
> >>14          8   14
> >>           INT     active-hi        edge       15
> >>15          8   15
> >>--
> >>Local Ints:     Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus
> >>ID   IRQ    APIC ID PIN#
> >>                ExtINT   conforms    conforms
> >>15     0        255
> >>   0
> >>                NMI      conforms    conforms
> >>15     0        255
> >>   1
> >>

> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >>MP Config Extended Table Entries:
> >>
> >>Extended Table HOSED!
> >>

> >>dmesg:
> >>
> >>Copyright (c) 1992-2002 The FreeBSD Project.
> >>Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989,
> >>1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
> >>        The Regents of the University of
> >>California. All rights reserved.
> >>FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE #0: Wed Aug 14 21:23:26 GMT

Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \