Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:29:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to get the PID before a program is run? (No joke :-)

Hi,

I have a rather curious problem here:

I want to start a program but I need its PID before
it is run. One way would be to load the program and
send a -STOP signal very quickly. Then I have got the
PID, can do some things and send a -CONT signal when
finished.

This is rather ugly. On my old Atari ST there was a
function Pexec() which could be called with a special
parameter which did all things in order to run a
program but actually didn't pass control to it.

I am sure there must be an esay way to do this on
FreeBSD but I didn't find any. My preferred way
of using it would be in a shell script but every
hint is welcome.

Thanks

	-Andre