Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 01:37:38 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: do you support

>> I am surprised. 8)  I wonder if the demon that did the backport would
>> consider bundling it such that we could ship it as an optional extra?
>
>  Well, this was discussed on freebsd-scsi I believe...
>
>  Justin and/or Dave G are working on making a patchkit for 2.2-stable I
>believe.  There is is even talking including CAM in the 2.2 branch after
>2.2.6.  I suspect that would be done as a kernel option, because some
>drivers are not CAMified yet.

   ...nasty rumors. :-) The port of CAM to 2.2.x that Justin did was sort of
a favor to me; I was having an intermittant problem with 'buffer already
done' panics that appeared to be a buffer mismanagement in the (MI/MD) SCSI
layer, and we thought it would be interesting if the problem went away by
using CAM (it did!). I did ask Justin at the time if it would be possible
to make both the old and new SCSI system available as compile-time options,
but this is difficult due to serious namespace conflicts and incompatible
software interfaces. I don't think a patchkit of somesort is out of the
question, however...but you'll have to do some arm twisting (Justin's arm,
not mine! :-)).

-DG

David Greenman