Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:00:26 -0600
From:      "jogegabsd" <jogegabsd@myrealbox.com>
To:        "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>, "F.Xavier Noria" <fxn@retemail.es>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: CDROM not working after upgrade

> > After upgrading to 4.6-RELEASE the CDROM has changed from /dev/acd0c
> > to /dev/acd0a, and sysinstall does not find it, do you know what can
> > be happened?  How does sysintall looks for the CDROM when
> selected in
> > the media list?
>
> Actually, they are the same device, /dev/acd0c is a block device,
> and /dev/acd0a is a raw device.
> >
> > -- fxn
> >
> > PS: dmesg says "acd0: CDROM <LG CD-ROM CRD-8521B> at
> ata0-slave PIO4"
> > in case it is relevant.
>
> I think that your cdrom is still working. Try putting a data cd in
> the drive and type "mount /cdrom". Then cd to /cdrom and you should
> see some files. When done, type "umount /cdrom".

Try to mount the cdrom and see if you get a "Device not configured"
error.
If you got it, you need to do the following

"Copy the new MAKEDEV file to your /dev directory and do a MAKEDEV all
You are still using the old MAKEDEV!

cp /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV /dev
cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV all
"
thanks to Mark Pearce for this solution and sorry I Copy this literaly.

HTH

Gerardo Amaya