Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 23:11:36 -0400
From:      James Howard <howardjp@well.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Making an ext2fs filesystem

I am doing some embedded work.  The system we are working with involves
a Linux
kernel running some special software on a Flash card, that runs in an
ARM box.

So, the all of our Linux build boxes like to crash.  Usually during a
build.  Go
figure.  So I suggested we build under FreeBSD.  Oddly enough, I'd been
doing
some test development of individual utilities under FreeBSD for more
than a year,
so I knew this would work.  It was just a matter of making it build a
kernel and
other more complex stuff.

Well, right now, everything is working except for one little part.  How
can I make
an EXT2 filesystem?  The tool in the Ports tree is broken beyond
recognition (the
build process is broken).  And copying over the binary for mke2fs from a
Linux box
doesn't work either.

So I am open to suggestions.

Thank you, Jamie