Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 1997 15:36:31 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help correcting corrupted disklabel

     2.2-ALPHA just dumped on me this afternoon.  From fdisk, the partition
table looks OK, and my OSs on other partitions work.  But I'm getting the "No
Operating System" error from my boot manager (OS/BS) when I try to boot into
FreeBSD.  I could sure use some advice.

>From the fixit disk:

     > mount /dev/wd1a /mnt
     /dev/wd1a on /mnt: Incorrect superblock

     > fsck /dev/rwd1a
     Can't open /dev/rwd1a: Invalid argument

     > disklabel wd1
     DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument

     > fdisk wd1
     ...(correct partition info)...

Same deal when using wd1s3 instead.

This is a sliced disk with FreeBSD on slices 3 and 4 (wd1a and wd1s3e).

I know the partition offsets, so what's the safest way to go about diagnosing
and repairing the damage?

Does this indicate my bootblock is hosed?  Or disklabel?  And if so, what
should I run specifically to rebuild/restore it/them?  I'd love to get at
manpages, but I'm limited to text dialup in DOS now.

Thanks in advance,

Randall Hopper