Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2001 03:58:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Darren Henderson <darren@bmv.state.me.us>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mixxed scsi/ide hd system

Darren Henderson <darren@bmv.state.me.us> types:
> This is probably a silly one but...
> I have a system that currently has a 2GB scsi drive, I would like to add
> some cheap extra space. Should I expect problems if I add a 20 or 30GB IDE
> drive to the system?

Well, I did that with no problems - until I turned on USB support. At
which time, I ran out of IRQs, so I bought another SCSI drive to
replace the IDE drive and get back the IRQ used by the IDE controller.

It probably wouldn't hurt to make sure you have an unused IRQ. dmesg
is the obvious place to look, but I recall seeing a better method here
at one point in the past.

> I still want to boot from the scsi. As long as I don't create a bootable
> partition on the IDE am I set or do I have to do something to explicitly
> keep booting off the scsi? Is the fact that the scsi controller knows that
> the drive is bootable sufficient to get past the motherboard's bios?

I think the answer is "it depends" - on your BIOS and it's
settings. The only thing that might cause you problems is if your
system is set up to check for bootable devices on the IDE controllers
first, then checks the SCSI controller. Most likely, it's set to just
boot SCSI, or check SCSI before IDE, in which case you're going to be
fine.

	<mike