Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 21:11:45 -0500
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@masto.com>, Thomas Yengst <yengst@photon.com>
Cc:        jah4007@cs.rit.edu, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: cups-1.1.10.1

On Tuesday 30 October 2001 19:45, Christopher Masto wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 03:47:02PM -0800, Thomas Yengst wrote:
> > Perhaps a small nit, but cups installs a new lpr in /usr/local/bin. At
> > least in my environment, /usr/local/bin/ is parsed before /usr/bin/,
> > which means "lpr" is called from the cups package before the system
> > version of lpr. The cups lpr creates really strange errors like:
> >
> > % ls | lpr
> > lpr: error - no default destination available.
> >
> > % ls | lpr -Php5
> > lpr: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable
> >
> > cups is a dependency for a couple of other packages, so the unsuspecting
> > user could install it without knowing that he could change his print
> > environment.
>
> Worse than that, someone who uses LPRng (and depends on it for his
> enterprise-wide printing) could install KDE and find all of the LPRng
> binaries have been overwritten.

OTOH, cups is *intended* to replace the existing printing system.

The problem is really KDE's packaging. Cups should not be a requirement for
anything other than a package that front-ends it, e.g., Kcups.

The KDE port could override the automatic dependencies and explicitly exclude
CUPS from the dependency list; that would solve the problem also.

Failing that, just forcing the installation of a cups-enabled KDE onto a
cups-less system should have no negative effects. If cups isn't selected as
the printing system, then it's interface objects will never get instantiated.
A motif-enabled KDE *should* be able to function without motif, too, as it is
only used by the Netscape plugin code, AFAIK.

There is no reason to ever have LPRng and CUPS both installed on the same
box, or at least none that I can think of. If you are using LPRng and you
blindly install CUPS, well, RPM has the idea of a conflict. I assume ports
does also. Those two packages should be marked as conflicting, and only one
allowed to install.

Among other things, if both LPRng and CUPS "own", e.g.,  /usr/local/bin/lpr,
deleting whichever one came first shouldn't touch /usr/local/bin/lpr, since
its ownership has been usurped by the later package. But I doubt it works
that way.