Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 1996 20:46:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Shawn@mem.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: obtaining software

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Shawn L. Bierman wrote:

> I have tried to install freebsd 2.1.5 via ftp (dynamic PPP) and when I
> am prompted to go into "term" mode via the ALT+F3 keystroke I get
> nothing.  I type term and can only type ~p or ~. .  How do I start the
> dialing sequnce?

Once you type 'term' you are directly on-line with your modem.  You should
be able to use AT-commands to dial and configure the modem.  If not, at
the ppp> prompt type 'show modem' and make sure the device points to the
right port (/dev/cuaa0 = COM1, /dev/cuaa1 = COM2) and if it's not then
type 'set device /dev/cuaa?' ?=port as above.

> Also, I can't provide the installation program with an
> address for my ISP or DNS because it is all dynamic.

The DNS address had better not be dynamic.  Ask your ISP for the IP
address of their Domain Name Server.  _Your_ IP may be dynamic, that's OK.

>I tried pinging
> DNS.MEM.NET (my provider) but it said bad address. So i tried NS.MEM.NET
> and got 206.155.209.32.  Should I use that?  What about the gateway?
> Last thing, If I just wanted to download all the software how would I do
> that?  I can't find a "DOWNLOAD THIS DIRECTORY" type directory, It's all
> kinda broken up and I don't know where to start.

Check out ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.5-RELEASE/INSTALL.