Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:39:35 -0400
From:      "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <metcalf@snet.net>
To:        Sean Harding <sharding@oregon.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anyone using FreeBSD with Dell Dimension Hardware?

Sean Harding wrote:

> Optiplex, Optiplex, Optiplex. The Dimensions are mostly junk. We bought
> some, and they were horrible. The problem is that the Dimension is the
> consumer model. Dell goes with whatever is cheapest that week when they
> are building the machines and make no guarantees even of the compatibility
> of the components together (this is information direct from Dell-we are a
> major public university, and buy a lot of computers).
>
> You'll probably get some responses saying they are good. There are, of
> course, lots of people who have had good experiences with them. But few of
> them buy computers on the scale which the departments here do. The ones
> who have made the mistake of buying the Dimensions have *all* been sorry
> they did...
>
> My honest recommendation would be to hand pick parts and build it
> yourself, but if you must have a Dell, Optiplex is the only one worth
> shelling out money for.
>
> Sean
>
> --
> Sean Harding sharding@oregon.uoregon.edu|"Life is a sleazy stranger
> http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~sharding/ | & this is his favorite bar."
> NeXTMail OK!                            |          --Ani DiFranco

Sean,

Thank you so much for your reply.  You may sway my decision away from
Dell
entirely.  Unfortunately, I think I can only get the Dimension model on
my
corporate discount.  I have a co-worker who runs his own computer
company and
builds them, however he knows nothing about FreeBSD.  I'm also not sure
how much
time I want to spend (how much time I really have is what I mean)
researching
every single component going into my machine.  I was hoping basically to
find a good consumer level machine that will satisfy my (basic) FreeBSD
needs.
Perhaps I should call the Dell consumer line and see if I can work out a
discount on an Optiplex, however, I am not too optimistic.

I will say though that three years ago I bought a Packard Bell Legend
132CDT
by the seat of my pants assuming everything would work with FreeBSD.  I
guess
I was very lucky since everthing did.  I'm sure Packard Bell uses the
same (if
not worse) practices as Dell with regard to consumer level machines,
which mine
undoubtedly is.

Thanks again or your reply.

JM