Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 1996 17:38:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sridhar Krishnan <skrishna@cisco.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 Help

Please read on.

On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Sridhar Krishnan writes:
> >

> > I purchased and installed FreeBSD 2.1 from Walnut Creek CD-ROM. I need
> > help on the following items:
> >
> > 1. I configured the serial port 1 (which has a built in modem) for the
> > IRQ4 and i/o address of 0x3e8 (as per BIOS 03E8h). The new kernel
> > recognizes the port. However, when I use /dev/cuaa0 it does not work.For
> > example, I tried echo ATDT11111 >/dev/cuaa0. The modem should atleast be
> > off the hook and I should here a dial-tone. No. Also, ppp seems to hang.
> > I had the ppp.conf in /etc/ppp directory configured to use this device.
> > No go.
>
> I don't know if this should work.  I personally use cu for this sort
> of thing
>
> $ cu -s 38400 -l /dev/cuaa0

I tried, and it does not seem to work. The device is properly configured.
I even deleted cuaa0 and re-added using /dev/MAKEDEV. the tun0 is all set
up. I set up the ppp according to the handbook. Help!

This is the only "hitch" I have to a fully functional system.

> > 2. I am getting UnixSocket error after I boot. So, I am unable to ping
> > localhost.
>
> I'd need more information on this one.  The exact error message, for
> example.  You should be able to ping localhost after entering
>
> # ifconfig lo0 127.1

Solved. Thanks.

> > 3. I have a Trident SVGA card on PCI motherboard with Linear Accelerator
> > and 1MB of VRAM, and I tried configuring for X86_SVGA and it errors with
> > chipset did not recognize xxx address. I should be able to use SVGA with
> > 256 colors (like Windows does).
>
> I'd guess that xf86config has the same problem that I do: not enough
> information.  Did you tell it the correct chip set?

I downloaded the 3.1.2E drivers for Trident, reconfigured and it worked.
(of course after a few failed attempts).

I have one othe question regarding "fvwm". What do I set before getting
it to work ? What should be my display ? I tried setting up in /etc/ttys
and it did not work.

Thanks,
Sridhar