Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 1996 15:15:39 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        torek@BSDI.COM, markd@grizzly.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Change to stdio.h to export `cookie?'

> Personally, I'd use:
>
> 	struct myfile {
> 		FILE	*fp;
> 		caddr_t	*userdata;
> 	}
>
> And wrapper all FILE * manipulation functions instead.

That implies that you can easily change all the references to it.  In
this particular case, I don't feel like munging the insides of TCL,
nor would I wish to maintain said hacks even if it were relatively
easy.. :-)

There are some genuine situations where one would really just like
to associate a little extra data with a FILE*, and I think that making
some very small provisions for it is not that out of line.

					Jordan