Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 10:03:37 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        thankhuu@cco.caltech.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation problem

>   I am trying to install FreeBSD under Windows95 and so far have been
> unsuccessful.  It reboots, but then goes into the 95 boot sequence
> instead.  Is there something that I should know?  Oh by the way, I am
> trying to use a totally separate hard drive for FreeBSD instead of a
> partition on C:, should I do something different for this?

Apparently there was a bug in the 2.1.0 installation program, which
installed a boot manager to allow you to choose which system to boot,
but put it on the wrong disk...

Anyway, it's easy to install it yourself. Just reboot into DOS and run
the bootinst.exe program from the tools directory on the CD. If you
don't have the CD, grab bootinst.exe and boot.bin from the FTP site
(using binary mode, of course), and do likewise.

You'll need to reboot into DOS, rather than start a DOS session within
Win95, as I'm told Win95 doesn't handle writing directly to disks
properly (I don't have Win95).

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk